Memory care in Oxnard is a form of care provided to seniors diagnosed with dementia, Alzheimer’s disease, or other cognitive impairments and who struggle with memory loss. Memory care helps seniors maintain physical health and cognitive stimulation.
Signs A Senior Needs Memory Care
Memory care may be necessary if the senior is experiencing:
- Changes in behavior: Seniors with memory loss may start acting in concerning ways and develop the following behaviors:
- Fear of driving
- Anti-social attitudes
- Withdrawing from others
- Neglecting daily hygiene (bathing, grooming, brushing teeth, etc.)
- Becoming overly anxious or agitated
- Confusion and disorientation that creates physical dangers: Seniors may become confused and disoriented and become at increased risk of car accidents. For example, seniors may forget the rules of the road and run a red light. Taking a walk and forgetting how to return home is another worrying sign. Memory care in Oxnard may be the right decision for seniors struggling with confusion and disorientation.
- Declining physical health: If you notice a loved one becoming frail or thin, they may be forgetting to shop for groceries or to take medication as directed. Some seniors may end up taking more medication than necessary if they struggle to keep track of medication.
- Severe Incontinence If a senior develops severe incontinence, the caregiver may struggle to meet the senior’s daily needs and begin to feel overwhelmed and discouraged. Severe incontinence can be a challenge for both family caregivers and medical professionals who provide in-home assistance.
Memory care may also be necessary if the senior’s caregiver is struggling with daily responsibilities or has died. A memory care facility could be the best option in these instances.
Memory Care Services And Activities For Seniors
- Art therapy to promote self-expression
- Group walks to encourage social interaction
- Exercises to maintain muscle strength and balance
- Mental health therapy to address depression or anxiety
- Music therapy to boost mood and emotional well-being
- Games to maintain fine motor skills
- Hands-on crafts such as knitting, collages, coloring, and ceramics to stimulate the senses
Questions to Ask When Touring a Memory Care Facility
When searching for memory care in Oxnard, the following questions could help inform the final decision:
- Do residents have adequate access to one-on-one care during the day and at night?
- Does the facility provide 24/7 medical care?
- Does the facility employ medical professionals to provide on-site medical services? Emergency care?
- Does the facility offer various levels of memory care? How are they priced and what is offered in each level?
- Do residents socialize in groups of seniors with a similar cognitive level?
- How do staff members respond to confused or combative seniors?
- Do staff members provide updates on the resident’s physical and cognitive health to family members and their physician?
If you’re searching for a quality senior living facility offering memory care in Oxnard, visit Total Senior to access a list of pre-vetted senior communities in the area.